First Time working on a bug for Thimble project

This week I was busy working on a issue from mozilla's thimble project. Thimble is a online editor tool that allows you to code web applications inside a webpage, it is such a amazing platform for people to learn or develop their web coding skills.

The bug I was working on "

Allow toggle of Editor options by clicking the option label #2116

" is more related  to front-end. The task is basically to make one of the drop down menus work in a way that each of the element in the list is clickable. Before I begin working on this issue, I thought it will be super hard,  because it is such a big project containing tons of files. I don't even know where I should begin. but when you really sit down and start working on it. It's not hard at all. It's all about using tools to spot the location of the code where your changes should be and making the necessary changes. And here is the change I made.



Contributing to huge open-source projects, some times, does not require you to understand the entire structure of the design. Usually, good system design has good layout/structure. Everything is being broken down to pieces, therefore when you making change to a small portion it doesn't effect other part of the system. That's why you don't need understand the entire system.

The reason I choose this bug is that I like to work with front-end javascript staff since nowadays javascript has become extremely popular. Even I'm not a artist, working as a front-end developer is still consider a good career for me. Especially when you can work with different JS libraries or frameworks, it's fun!!

I would also like to thank those people in the community who are being friendly to me and offering help and guidance to me while i was working on the bug. I was communicating with those people mostly on github(the issue page) and occasionally in their private live-chat channel.

I think in the future even i'm not in this class anymore, I will continue to work on those open-source projects because I learn a lot and having fun doing this. And that is the charm of open-source.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documentation in opensource

Working with gh-pages